Mold is a type of fungus – a plant like organism that obtains its food source directly from its surroundings. Everybody had indoor mold – some just have it worse than others. Even if you can’t see mold, it is there. The big question is, “How bad is it?” Mold existence and our daily exposure to it in homes and occupational work areas are universal and simply a fact of everyday life. It is only when mold finds it ideal place to flourish that it needs serious and immediate attention.


Moisture, simple as that! Water is the necessary component and the primary “catalyst” for mold growth. Faulty plumbing, leaky roof, cracked foundation, etc. Humidity in the air is a form of water. High humidity often promotes mold growth. Bath, shower and laundry rooms are notoriously high humility areas that, if not controlled, can start mold amplification.


Some types of mold are more toxic than others, but all molds are considered toxic. Toxic mold grows in a variety of colors other than black. Many colored toxic molds are more toxic than black colored mold. Laboratory analysis of air, swab, lift tape and or bulk samplings by a qualified technician using accepted mold industry collection methods and investigation techniques are the best means to identify the different kinds of mold present.


This should be the number one concern of anyone who has a potential mold problem. Every individual has a different sensitivity to mold. While one may experience extreme discomfort, other in the same environment had no symptoms. Those displaying no symptoms, however, often develop a sensitivity to mold from prolonged exposures. Health implications can include:

• Headache, fatigue, shortness of breath
• Sinus congestion, coughing and sneezing
• Eye, nose, throat and skin irritation (itching)
• Dizziness, nausea and or vomiting

Studies show mold is responsible for a variety of diseases including cancer, memory loss, learning disabilities and more.

Individuals at highest risk for health complications from mold include:

• Allergy and asthma sufferers
• People with respiratory disease
• Elderly, youths and others with weak immune systems
• Contact lens wearers


The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states to “ACT QUICKLY” if you have a mold problem and to “LIMIT YOUR EXPOSURE” to mold. Consequently, do not delay addressing your suspected problem. A mold problem can have severe health implications. Mold can also cause serious and costly structural and cosmetic damages over a period of time and in many cases in as little as 24-48 hour after an area has become wet and not completely dried.

© 2015 Brookstone Restoration. All rights reserved.
Brookstone Restoration
4000 Farr Road
Bessemer, AL 35022
Click for the BBB Business Review of this Home Builders in Birmingham AL